Find Out Where your SPAM Really Came From
In this tutorial you will learn how to view and read your email headers in order to tack down where your SPAM came from. This tutorial if for Outlook Express and Outlook users.
- Start your Outlook or Outlook Express.
- Right-Click on the SPAM email you want to find out more about.
- Select Properties from the menu.
- Go to the Detail tab on the Properties screen.
- Use your mouse to highlight the text in the textbox.
- Right-Click within the highlighted portion and select copy.
- Go to SpamCop.com and paste the headers into the box to find out where the email really came from.
- You can also read the headers yourself. Jut need to remember to look at the last Received: line to find the source.
Here is an example :
Received: from staleytech.com ([220.127.116.11]) by np1.staleytech.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:49:05 -0400
- The email seems to be coming from kdevelopers.net yet the true source is staleytech.com ([18.104.22.168]) which is an IP address used by an SBC/Ameritech user.